Romesco sauce. I’d heard of it on cooking shows and had no idea what it was. Wow was I missing something. This flavourful beauty can take your food from pretty good to awesome, its that good.
A few easy steps and you are in business. I made mine froze it and then used it when we were camping. Next time I will double the recipe and package up in just enough for two sizes. That way I can get one package out for my husband and I and more if we have company.
This recipe was another of the practice recipes with my Plantbased Culinary program through Rouxbe, https://rouxbe.com/
I think you’re going love it….let’s get at it…
Romesco Sauce is easy to make. You could make it ahead of time and put it in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for another day. If you are able, buy organic peppers and they are one of the dirty dozen. I know they are more expensive, you and your family are worth it.
For your Mis en Place….a fancy name for prepping all your ingredients; you will roast the peppers and toast the nuts separately.
Let’s start with the Roasted Peppers
What you will need to make the roasted peppers:
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 to 2 t olive oil (for roasting)
How to prep your roasted peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Lightly coat the peppers with a bit of oil.
- Place the whole peppers onto a tray covered with parchment paper. Turn the peppers until they are mostly black and bubbly. Turn them so often so they cook evenly.
- Once they are bubbly and blackened, remove from the oven and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and seal. Let them sit for 10 to 20 minutes, until the skins peel off fairly easily.
- Let them cool enough to handle, careful they can be hot inside. Take the seeds out of the middle too and set aside.
Next let’s prepare the toasted nuts:
What you will need for the toasted nuts:
- 1/3 c raw almonds
- ¼ c hazelnuts
How to make the nuts and spices:
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Put the hazelnuts and almonds on a cookie sheet and for a few minutes in the preheated oven. When hot and a bit crunchy, remove and set aside to cool.
- When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins from the hazelnuts by rubbing them together in your hand on in a towel. Set aside.
Let’s make the Romesco Sauce
What other ingredients you will need, besides the roasted peppers and the nuts you have prepared.
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ t smoked paprika
- ½ t hot paprika
- 1 ½ T sherry vinegar
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- ½ to 1 t sea salt
How to make the Romesco Sauce:
- Peel the garlic and puree the garlic in a food processor
- Add the nuts and grind fairly small, the smoother the grind, the smoother the sauce. A personal choice on texture.
- Add the roasted peppers and continue
to blend till smooth.
- Add paprika, sherry vinegar and pulse a few times.
- Add the some of the oil and a bit of salt, pulse again and taste for flavour. Add more salt and oil as desired.