Smoky Chickpea Veggie Soup
Smoky Chickpea Veggie Soup. Absolutely yummy!
I’ve been taking a plant based culinary cooking program from Rouxbe and have been having a blast. We were working with legumes, grains and rice and were asked to create two unique recipes with a legume of our choice. I choose chickpeas.
In the past when I’ve used chickpeas, I’ve used canned chickpeas just for convenience. What I found out is how fast and easy it is to make your own and of course about 1/4 the cost.
If you want to make your own chickpeas, check out my blog that gives you step by step directions. Soooooo easy to do!
I found this recipe on google and modified it a little. Thanks to Jennifer Segal for posting it online.
Once you get everything set up, it really takes very little time. My philosophy is make lots and freeze some for another day.
You are gonna love this one. Let’s make some soup!
Smoky Chickpea Veggie Soup
This is a wonderful soup. This recipe will make enough for a couple meals for two people. We ate some right away and had some more the next day, couldn’t help ourselves. We froze one batch for another day when we are too busy to cook.
Now you have a choice, make your own chickpeas (highly encouraged) or use the ones from the can. Also a great option. If you want to make your own from scratch, check out my blog with a really easy recipe.
What you’ll need to make your Smoky Chickpea Veggie Soup:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 3/4 t cumin
- 4 c veggie broth (I use Better than Bouillon)
- 8 ripe Roma tomatoes (blanched, skin removed) or you can use a large can of tomatoes – your choice
- 1/3 c red lentils
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1.5 c chickpeas, (if you used canned, be sure to drain and rinse them)
- 1/2 c parboiled brocollini (add in at the end)
- 1/2 – 1 c frozen peas (add in at the end)
How to make your Smoky Chickpea Veggie Soup:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, smoked paprika and cumin. Cook, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn’t brown, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, red lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer; cook for ten minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, cover the pot and cook 10 minutes more.
- Fish out the bay leaves, then transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth.
- Add the puréed soup back to the pot and stir. Taste; if you want the soup to be thicker, purée a bit more soup.
- Add the cooked vegetables, frozen peas or chopped greens and simmer until the soup is hot and the vegetables are warmed through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- I served mine with some french bread, toasted in the oven with garlic and vegan butter. Love the crunchy contrast.